Looking for equity or debt financing?
We focus on providing development finance
Oikocredit provides loans, equity and other investments to revenue-generating, mid-growth ventures that are focused on development and a triple bottom line return in low-income and emerging countries (People-Profit-Planet).
Primary investment sectors, policy and criteria
Oikocredit is active in 69 countries across the world. Our international, European and North American offices raise capital and capacity-building funds to create Oikocredit's development finances.
Our international and regional offices in the UK, USA, Africa, Asia, Latin Amercia and Central & Eastern Europe assess, identify and develop partners who are mid-stage, revenue-generating growth enterprises. We do not finance start-up ventures.
Our investment sectors
Inclusive Finance Institutions: Around 2 billion people in the world lack access to basic financial services. Around 80% of Oikocredit’s development financing portfolio (€ 735.3 million) is therefore invested in social and microfinance activities through cooperatives; non-banking financial institutions; banks offering diverse financial products, SMEs and wholesale funds (e.g. KWFT Kenya).
Production and Service Partners: As a major growth area for Oikocredit, nearly 20% of our development financing portfolio (€ 164.9 million) is directly invested in social enterprises through production and services partners:
- Agriculture, incl. fair trade and organic produce (€ 113.3 million): Around ¾ of the world’s poorest people live in rural areas, relying on agricultural activities to meet their daily needs. Oikocredit supports these groups by providing financing to agricultural businesses, producers, suppliers, fair trade cooperatives and procurers (e.g. Divine Chocolate, Cafédirect) in order to create greater resilience and fairer, more robust value chains.
- Renewable Energy (€ 15.9 million): World-wide,millions of people still lack access to clean, affordable energy.Oikocredit therefore invests in enterprises that provide renewable energy in underserved regions in a way that is economically, socially and foremost environmentally sustainable (e.g.BBOXX).
Our investing policy and criteria
Oikocredit is one of largest private providers of social investment to the inclusive finance sector (€ 735.3 million) and to Africa (€ 158 million), and places a particular emphasis on reaching women and rural communities. Our core investing criteria include:
- Projects and enterprises that create jobs and income for disadvantaged, financially-excluded people.
- Projects where women are influential in management and/or implementation.
- Projects that are responsible in terms of their environmental impact.
- Projects that are financially sustainable, or can soon become so, and have suitable management in place.
More details regarding our initial screening criteria for potential partners can be found by following the links on the right hand side. These criteria help us to manage expectations early in the process.
Please contact our UK office if you think you may fulfil the initial screening criteria and represent a good fit for us. Our specialist units would then need you to provide an executive summary including business projections, a request for financing and three year's financial statements.