Indulge in a FAPECAFES fair trade coffee at our events across Europe
Located in the mountains of southern Ecuador, Oikocredit partner FAPECAFES is an organisation of six cooperatives seeking to improve the conditions of its farmer members by commercialising fair trade and organic coffee.
FAPECAFES supports 1,200 smallholder farmers who grow coffee for both the domestic and international markets. It offers high-quality products to a variety of market niches and provides training and technical assistance to its farmers with the sponsorship of government, local and foreign institutions.
Oikocredit has invited FAPECAFES to present at its annual European road show. Road shows are a series of events that offer investors and other stakeholders the opportunity to learn more about how Oikocredit’s financing positively impacts the lives of low-income people across the globe.
With the theme of the 2017 road show being fair trade coffee, FAPECAFES seemed a natural choice. Oikocredit has invited Vinicio Martinez and José Apolo, two staff members from its Ecuadorian agriculture partner, to showcase their work at the road show events in Spain, France, Germany, Austria and the Netherlands. The event kicks off in Madrid on 7 October.
A matter of taste
Vinicio Martinez, president of FAPECAFES, will talk about the work of the organisation, its support for organic and fair trade farming, and the opportunities and challenges faced by coffee growers. José Apolo will share his experience as a quality controller and explain and demonstrate the intricacy of coffee tasting. There will also be a barista demonstration at the events in Austria and Germany by Andreas Felsen, founder of the German coffee roasting company Quijote, a business partner of FAPECAFES.
Oikocredit sees agriculture as one of the most effective ways of reducing rural poverty through increases in income and strengthening food security strategies at the smallholder level. Through investments in sustainable agriculture partners like FAPECAFES, Oikocredit provides farmers with the opportunity to participate in competitive local, regional and international markets. We believe that the best way to achieve a positive impact is through sustainable agriculture practices that focus on environmental, social and economic dimensions at the farm level. Read more about FAPECAFES
Interested in joining?
If you are interested in joining one of the events below, please contact the local Oikocredit support association for more detailed information. The road show will take place from 7 to 20 October.
Overview of events:
Sat 07.10 Madrid, Spain
Mon 09.10 Barcelona, Spain
Tue 10.10 Toulouse, France
Wed 11.10 Strasbourg, France
Thurs 12.10 Stuttgart, Germany
Fri 13.10 Vienna, Austria
Sat 14.10 Munich, Germany
Mon 16.10 Leipzig, Germany
Tue 17.10 Münster, Germany
Wed 18.10 Hamburg, Germany
Thurs 19.10 Mainz, Germany
Fri 20.10 Utrecht, the Netherlands
- 29/09/17 18:52 - Ed Mayo, Secretary General of Co-ops UK talks about Oikocredit around the world
- 29/09/17 18:21 - Co-operatives UK introduce social investor, Oikocredit, to celeberate International Co-ops Day
- 29/09/17 16:23 - In the Guardian: Oikocredit empowers excluded women with social investing
- 29/09/17 16:18 - In the Guardian: the devastating effects of climate change on subsistence farmers
- 29/09/17 16:13 - In the Guardian: the Indian tea estates being revitalised by Oikocredit investors
- 29/09/17 16:02 - Church Times and Oikocredit discuss ethical investing and what it means for philanthropists
- 29/09/17 11:09 - What have money & faith got to do with climate change?
- 29/09/17 11:06 - Ethex introduce its investor base to Oikocredit, where pay-as-you-go solar lighting up the lives of Ghana’s micro-entrepreneurs
- 29/09/17 11:03 - Social Stock Exchange: Pay-as-you-go solar is lighting up the lives of Ghana’s micro-entrepreneurs
- 29/09/17 11:00 - Churches Together in Britain & Ireland: Poverty alleviation & affordable, clean energy
- 29/09/17 10:56 - Scottish International Development Alliance (SIDA): SDGs & how ethical investing can help
- 29/09/17 10:40 - UK Social Stock Exchange interview with Thos Gieskes, Oikocredit International MD
- 29/09/17 10:27 - The UK Social Stock Exchange interviews Oikocredit UK & Ireland's National Director Monica Middleton
- 26/09/17 12:00 - Supporting organic coffee growers in southern Ecuador
- 21/09/17 15:26 - Indulge in a FAPECAFES fair trade coffee at our events across Europe
- 15/09/17 11:50 - How fair trade is helping smallholder coffee farmers succeed
- 13/09/17 15:20 - Laura Pool appointed as chief risk officer
- 13/09/17 15:15 - Oikocredit appoints Laura Pool as chief risk officer